Florida Fish Talk

Click here to edit subtitle

FIshing Reports & Forums

Forum Home > Nature Coast fishing report > Red Hot Fishing In Hernando Beach

Capt. Josh Fritz

Red Hot Action In Hernando Beach

Fishing for red fish has been great, this time of year the big breeder red fish move off shore for there yearly spawn. You can find these big pods of red fish in 12 to 30 feet on structure the same bottom that you would fish for grouper. Now the inshore waters the reds are in the slot size, if we have a mild winter the reds will stay more towards the outside points, coves, and shore lines. lures are a great search bait for red fish I like a skitter walk SW11 size in many different colors, mullet, white, trout, and bone colors are all great colors to try out. All ways look for the big mullet schools the reds will hang around these schools of mullet and feed on what ever the mullet stir up shrimp, crabs, small bait fish etc. If we get some good cold snaps the reds will push more up into the in side creeks and muddy coves, pot holes are great to target at a low tide. Jigs with a trigger x shrimp or the mirr o lure lil jons in the water melon red and water melon copper are very good for reds, trout, snook, and flounder. I like to rig my jigs with a 1/16oz to 1/4oz jig head depending on water depth and current. Live bait is another great way to target red fish, live jumbo shrimp the the tail pinched off for sent and a 2/0 circle hook is the ticket on the cold winter days, fresh cut mullet and pin fish are my bait of choice right now. The water temp is holding in the low to mid 70's and these fish are moving around a lot, you can find them in one spot one day the next there gone. I have been finding the best action to be at the first of the incoming tide and the top of the outgoing tide. The reds are in schools of 2 to 12 and the size are ranging from 18" to 28".

Fishing is very good we are catching a huge variety of fish from red fish, trout, sheeps head, black drum, and flounder. Book a trip and lets catch some fish. Stop into precision Tackle to get these hot lures I mention above.

--

Capt. Josh Fritz

Chase N' Tails Fishing Charters

www.chasentailsfishingcharters.com

352-345-9304

December 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kickin'Bass

man, sounds good, *couch* trip *cough*

--

-Kickin'Bass

December 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete

Isn't it funny how you can stay up half the night getting ready and waiting for "get up thirty" and can't sleep, finally fall asleep an hour before the alarm goes off, wake up feeling like crap, get some coffee down, get to the water and feel like you had the best nights sleep ever and fish all day with out a yawn??? Damn I Love being on the water, fishing!!!!!!! Well, time to start trying to get some sleep, like that's gonna happen. 1 trout, 2 trout, 3red, 4 trout, 5 snook...ZZZZZZ...

--

Pete

December 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete

Pete at December 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Isn't it funny how you can stay up half the night getting ready and waiting for "get up thirty" and can't sleep, finally fall asleep an hour before the alarm goes off, wake up feeling like crap, get some coffee down, get to the water and feel like you had the best nights sleep ever and fish all day with out a yawn??? Damn I Love being on the water, fishing!!!!!!! Well, time to start trying to get some sleep, like that's gonna happen. 1 trout, 2 trout, 3red, 4 trout, 5 snook...ZZZZZZ...

Well, that's the way it works, on the water by 7am, lines in the water by 7:20, took a bit longer to find the fish, but we came home with our limits. Trout were spread all over and picky on what they wanted for awhile, but as usual persistance and with a huge assortment of tackle, they can be had. White ice, trigger-x shrimp, but majority on my go to lure. And if you know me you know the one, if you don't it's no big secret, but I'm still not telling it's a superstition thing, talk about your fav and it stops working, Capt. Josh does mention "some " of what I use stick to his suggestions and you should do fine, after all he is a highly trained Pro. Which brings me to give a shout out to Capt. Josh, who in the dark at the ramp today I didn't recognize for a minute or three, but in all fairness to me, it was dark and there was this BAD ASS Airboat sitting in front of me and I really wasn't looking at him. Hope he had a good day, I know we did, Thanks to Dencil for a badly needed day on the water on my part. As usual a day fishing beats... well pretty much every thing else.  

--

Pete

December 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bubba Montgomery

Pete at December 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Pete at December 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Well, that's the way it works, on the water by 7am, lines in the water by 7:20, took a bit longer to find the fish, but we came home with our limits. Trout were spread all over and picky on what they wanted for awhile, but as usual persistance and with a huge assortment of tackle, they can be had. White ice, trigger-x shrimp, but majority on my go to lure. And if you know me you know the one, if you don't it's no big secret, but I'm still not telling it's a superstition thing, talk about your fav and it stops working, Capt. Josh does mention "some " of what I use stick to his suggestions and you should do fine, after all he is a highly trained Pro. Which brings me to give a shout out to Capt. Josh, who in the dark at the ramp today I didn't recognize for a minute or three, but in all fairness to me, it was dark and there was this BAD ASS Airboat sitting in front of me and I really wasn't looking at him. Hope he had a good day, I know we did, Thanks to Dencil for a badly needed day on the water on my part. As usual a day fishing beats... well pretty much every thing else.  

Pete,

you need to let everyone know that fishes Jenkins Creek, that there is 2 Hispanic guys 1 tall and 1 short, that are keeping more than 1 redfish.  They drive a small red trunk license plate R747DV.  They fish with shrimp and always use 2 poles apiece.  They normally fish in Linda Peterson Park to the right of the handicap pier.  WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR FISHERY.  IF I HAVE TO OBEY THE LAW THEY SHOULD ALSO AND IF I KEPT EVERY FISH I CAUGHT THERE WOULD NOT BE THAT MANY IN LINDA PETERSON. 

--
December 19, 2011 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete

Bubba I'm on it, but here's a # to call for FWC to report them if you spot them again, 1-888-404-3922, they have to be caught in possession of the fish. I don't think the regulations have been changed to two reds or if they are going to up it. Either way I'll see what I can get done. Thanks for paying attention and stepping up.

--

Pete

December 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete

Bubba, just curious, why did you direct this request/info to me?

--

Pete

December 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bubba Montgomery

Pete at December 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Bubba I'm on it, but here's a # to call for FWC to report them if you spot them again, 1-888-404-3922, they have to be caught in possession of the fish. I don't think the regulations have been changed to two reds or if they are going to up it. Either way I'll see what I can get done. Thanks for paying attention and stepping up.

i know you fish jenkins creek.  Let Lee know about those guys also.  I know he would call.  I did call but they left and then I heard they came back and caught 2 more.  Try not to catch all the fish.

--
December 20, 2011 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete

Bubba, I get the connection now, thanks for clearing it up. I'll let Lee and the rest of the guys know next time I get out.  Issues at home so I only get an hour or so now and then, did get about an hour yesterday afternoon, got a couple 15's. Tight Lines and Enjoy the Holidays.  

--

Pete

December 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Saline Solution

The rules have changed you can keep 2 red fish 

December 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe

Saline,

you are right but wrong the regulations have changed but dont take effect until effect 1 Feb.. here is the link and short artical.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/red-drum/

A recent stock assessment showed red drum were exceeding themanagement goals in two areas of the state. At the November 16,2011, Commission meeting FWC Commissioners approved the followingnew regulations for red drum effective February 1, 2012:

Bag limit increase from 1 fish to 2 fish in the Northeast andNorthwest regionsStatewide vessel limit of 8 red drumOff-water possession limit removedBag limits apply to the land in the area adjacent to thefishing siteTransport possession limit of 6 per person"Northeast region," "Northwest region" and "South region" werecreated

December 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Saline Solution

Thanks Joe, The phone got me and I didnt get back to edite my post ,is that a black drume your holding?

December 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe

Np, just wanted to clearify that because like most of use we want our fish to stay plentiful. And yes it is a black drum, me and a buddy catch them all the time down at the gandy bridge they are fun to catch on 10 pound line.

December 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Saline Solution

That does sound like fun. I remember catching them from the cat walkes years ago, I havent been in that area for some time.

December 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete

Saline Solution at December 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM

The rules have changed you can keep 2 red fish 

*New regulations will go into effect February 1, 2012

Commercial harvest in state waters prohibited

Must remain in whole condition until landed ashore

Harvest prohibited by or with the use of multiple hooks in conjunction with live or dead natural bait

**NEW** Red Drum Commission Action

A recent stock assessment showed red drum were exceeding the management goals in two areas of the state. At the November 16, 2011, Commission meeting FWC Commissioners approved the following new regulations for red drum effective February 1, 2012:

Bag limit increase from 1 fish to 2 fish in the Northeast and Northwest regions

Statewide vessel limit of 8 red drum

Off-water possession limit removed

Bag limits apply to the land in the area adjacent to the fishing site

Transport possession limit of 6 per person

"Northeast region," "Northwest region" and "South region" were created

--

Pete

December 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.